Sunday, June 22, 2008

Why Traditions: Profane vs. Sacred Life

You must know this about me to really understand my passion for food and the importance that it plays in my traditions. The creating and keeping of tradition is what creates a "sacred" life. Here's why:

"In imitating the exemplary acts of a god or of a mythic hero, or simply by recounting their adventures, the man of an archaic society detaches himself from profane time and magically re-enters the Great Time, the sacred time." -Mircea Eliade.

What I mean to say is by living a life of ritual where one returns again and again to the past in a cyclical manner there is a connection of the present with what has gone on before. It is the process of remembering. It is my goal to fill my life with as many rituals and traditions as possible. This includes creating "Theme Nights" as well as learning Grandma Thayne's shortbread recipe...to make the shortbread just like she did decades ago (while wearing her apron that I "borrowed" from my mom), to gather around feasts for special holidays like I did with my cousins as we were growing up. To go back to these moments over and over again is to remember where I came from...to remember who I am.

Below are some other interesting Eliade statements:

"...an object or an act becomes real only insofar as I imitates or repeats archtype. Thus, reality is acquired solely through repetition or participation; everything which lacks an exemplary model is 'meaningless', i.e., it lacks reality."

"A sacrifice, for example, not only exactly reproduces the initial sacrifice revealed by a god ab origine, at the beginning of time, it also takes place at the same primordial mythical moment; in other words, every sacrifice repeats the initial sacrifice and coincides with it."

"Just as profane space is abolished by the symbolism of the Center, which projects any temple, palace, or building into the same central point of mythical space, so any meaningful act performed by archaic man, any real act, i.e., any repetition of an archetypal gesture, suspends duration, abolishes profane time, and participates in mythical time."

Mircea Eliade, The Myth of the Eternal Return, pg. 34-36

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I am thinking on the comments of M. Eliade. I, too, like rituals that link us to our forefathers and mothers and to our posterity, my grandchildren, my nieces and nephews. It is learning to love our family and extended family, that will peace to our world. I would like the recipe of the cupcakes. Also, I love the picture you have of Grandpa George David, with Margie, David and Connie. They are in his garden in Logan. I associate the smell of mint with his garden for that is where I first remember smelling and tasting it. Grandpa George D. also had a goat, named Nanny, which he milked. Goat's milk is very good. Grandpa was very frugal and, for a treat, would go to the bakery and get days' old doughnuts. We were so excited and then we would take a bite, and they were so stale--but we still hate them. We didn't get as much sugar and treats back then, so the doughnuts were still a treat.

Dianne said...

So, I didn't mean to leave out the ties I have with my dear, exceptional and remarkable children. They are my greatest treasure and what has brought fullfilment to my life. I shouldn't assume you, my children, know how much I love you.
Love