Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup

Last week I made butternut squash soup for the first time. It's my favorite soup, but I have been afraid to try making it because I've had amazing butternut squash soup at some great restaurants. I was afraid my homemade version wouldn't be as gourmet and delicious! But it turned out great. I really didn't do too much measuring, so the measurements given below are approximates. Try it out. You'll love it.

1 3-lb. butternut squash
4 Tbsp. olive oil (plus a little more)
1 large shallot chopped fine
6 cups water
salt
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp nutmeg

Step 1: bake the butternut squash with the shallot in a glass 9x13 pan 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (drizzle a bit of olive oil in the pan).
Step 2: peel the squash when it has softened.
Step 3: Bring to boil in a large pot the squash, olive oil, water, shallot, salt, milk. Then let it simmer for 25 minutes.
Step 4: Blend the mixture in blender in portions.
Step 5: add sugar and nutmeg.

Done.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

YUM! I want to make this tonight!